Wednesday, March 4, 2009

I can jump puddles!

Summer is officially over, and we knew it on the weekend, when a front of wet, windy weather covered the North Island.
“Mumma is it getting to night time?” H. kept asking, gazing in wonder at the bleak skies. We couldn’t even see the Skytower!
A visit to the park was out of the question, and we didn’t fancy going anywhere in the car. But with kids bouncing off the walls, I decided on a novel idea: A walk in the rain!
The wind had died down by mid-morning, and you would have thought I’d suggested a visit to the zoo, the kids were so excited.
Umbrellas and shoes were fetched in record time, and before we knew it, we were walking up the hill to Ponsonby.
H. kept jumping and shrieking with happiness every time the wind threatened to carry her and her umbrella away, Mary Poppins-like. And C., wearing his funky wheel shoes and skating in the wet, couldn’t get the grin off his face.
I couldn’t believe such a simple activity could give them so much pleasure. But then, these are true blue Queensland kids, where rain is a limited commodity!
As well as puddle jumping and screaming, we did something we’d been meaning to do since we moved here: Joined the local library. It’s in a rambling old building, and the kids’ section is incredibly warm and welcoming with big cushions, comfy chairs, a couple of colourful tables, and giant toys scattered around the place. We spent a pleasant hour or so, reading books and choosing a few to take home.
C. also grabbed a couple of Playstation games, while Missy contented herself with a DVD – perfect for a rainy weekend.
On Sunday, no one felt like cooking, so we broke with tradition. Instead of our usual Sunday Roast, Husband, accompanied by a beaming H. picked up some takeaway from our favourite fisho, Oceans, at the Auckland Fish Market.
I swear, the fish practically jumps from the water and into the fryer there. It’s delicious!
C. has developed a great fondness for NZ snapper and terahiki, and demolished his dinner with relish. Actually, who am I kidding? We all did.
During the week, I’ve been continuing my exploration of Kiwi foods. (By the way, the Flattos? Juicy, sweet, and very yummy. But I think I prefer the normal-sized peaches, much easier to peel for fussy kids).
Anyway, doing the shopping, I spotted this spiky strange fruit next to the watermelon and kiwifruit. It was labelled “Kiwiana” so of course, I bought one to try.
We haven’t tasted it yet, but I’ll let you know!

Missy spotted these at the fish market.
"Poor lobsters," she told K. "They look sad. Can we take one home and eat it?"

Hmm...somehow I don't think being eaten is going to make the lobsters any happier!

1 comment:

Cynthia said...

Yeah, eating Mr. Lobster at home...still not making him happy;) Cute pic tough!

Fire and ice ...

You can take the Brissie girl out of New Zealand, but you can't take NZ out of the girl. Or something like that. What I mean is that al...